Who I Is

I'm just an old(er) Rugby player from Northern Iowa who has gained a great deal from the sport of Rugby, and like to share my love of this sport with family, friends, and other Ruggers. If you have some time, check out my links on the right side of this page. In the Flickr photo albums there are over 2,000 pics from past Rugby trips I've taken, and from my hometown team, River City Rugby. There's also some great videos on the YouTube link! If you want to learn more about Golden Oldies Rugby be sure to click on that link as well. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy what I post here. I am on Facebook too, so look me up and add me if you'd like. Cheers!



FYI- These posts are from newest to oldest, so if you want to start at the first post, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Older Posts" , or use the links at the right side of the page to select dates.



Sunday, September 26, 2010

Better Late Than Never!

My apologies to everyone back home who have checked to see an update from Saturday. It was an amazing day, and I was a bit tuckered when I arrived back at our Hotel from the days' festivities, so am doing an update now. It is sunny and around 75 degrees this morning here in beautiful Sydney. As I type this, it is 11:20 a.m. here. My room mates have gone to the grocery store to restock our kitchen, and I am waiting for a couple calls from fellow Dogs as to their room check-ins. Now, on to yesterday!

Bill, Al, and myself had penciled in some time at Bondi Beach for the day, then off to a Rugby match in the afternoon. We grabbed a taxi at our Hotel, then enjoyed the City sights on our 20 minute ride to Bondi. It was a bit hazy, but warm enough to break out the swim trunks and relax on the sand for a couple of hours. I could never do justice in describing Bondi, so a few pics so you have a general idea of what we saw.





When I get back home and wrap this tour blog up I will post the link to my Flickr albums so everyone can enjoy all the photos we have taken, and will take this week. I just have too many to many to choose from to post them all here.

We were at the beach for about three hours. In the last couple of days we have compiled a list of the Australian beers we have sampled/consumed in our travels around Sydney. To date: James Squires Amber Ale, Victorian Bitter, Pure Blonde, Tooheys New, Carlton Draft, and Boags. Without a doubt, the list will be added to!

Our afternoon was going to be spent at a Preliminary Final match with Eastwood vs Randwick. The match was being played at the East RUC's pitch. I have to tell you folks, this is to date the best afternoon/evening I have spent in Sydney! Our good buddy Slabbs Rodgers is a member of East, and when he said we'd have a great time, he WAS NOT kidding!

The taxi ride from Bondi to the pitch at Eastwood was interesting to say the least. I actually had to get out the City map book for the driver and quide him there! Let's say there was a slight language barrier to add to the confusion if you catch my drift. We eventually did arrive though, and met up with felow Dog Clancy Turner. So, us four Yanks settled in with 100's of enthusiastic fans and players to watch an amazing two halves of Rugby. I bought a Roast Roll and a Box of Chips to make sure the countles. s beers to follow had a little something to work with.

The match itself was quite the battle. Slabbs told us that between the two teams competing there were 8 current or former Wallabys! Wow, what an exciting place to be for a small town Iowa boy folks!

Here's a couple of pics from the match:






As you may notice, quite the crowd was attending. We made several new friends, as you will whenever ruggers gather, and just had a fun time (somewhat beer induced as the evening progresses).

This next photo is for the boys of River City Rugby, my home club back in Iowa. Gentlemen, a tradition at least at the Eastwood Club is that at the end of the season if you have not scored that season, you must attend the last function at your Club "dressed up". I think we should possibly look at adopting something similar for our Club. What ya think?


Sadly, East lost a hard fought match to Randwick by only a couple of points. We stayed around for another hour with some of our new found friends, then made a short hike to a main road to catch a taxi to our Hotel about 8:00 p.m.. As it had been quite a long day, I think the four of us were all out cold by 10:00 p.m. These tours are just so taxing on us old farts!

The rest of the Dogs will filter in today, and we will all join up for the Opening Ceremony of the 18th World Golden Oldies Rugby Festival tonight!! I will attempt an update later after the festivities, but will not make any promises!! I hope everyone is enjoying my blog. I know I am having a great deal of fun doing it. Cheers to one and all, and more soon...............

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Bill,
Hope you guys enjoy the rest of your stay. I still laugh when I think about Bill's unintentional tackle of those poor people at the rugby club. Good luck with the games.
Paul
(I'm the guy in the red shirt in the photos)