Who I Is

I'm just an old(er) Rugby player from Northern Iowa who has gained a great deal from the sport of Rugby, and like to share my love of this sport with family, friends, and other Ruggers. If you have some time, check out my links on the right side of this page. In the Flickr photo albums there are over 2,000 pics from past Rugby trips I've taken, and from my hometown team, River City Rugby. There's also some great videos on the YouTube link! If you want to learn more about Golden Oldies Rugby be sure to click on that link as well. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy what I post here. I am on Facebook too, so look me up and add me if you'd like. Cheers!



FYI- These posts are from newest to oldest, so if you want to start at the first post, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Older Posts" , or use the links at the right side of the page to select dates.



Friday, October 01, 2010

Last Match Day

Well, today was our last match day, and I'd have to say, the best one of the week. We played a team called the Downunders, and it was fun on all fronts. Clean play, good sportsmanship, and massive jersey trading after the match. I was fortunate enough to notch a try due to the unselfishness of my team mates as the final play of our match! No new injuries to report, so that is always a big plus.

Our match was at 11:15 a.m., so we had ample time the rest of the afternoon to mingle, trade, and have a generally fun time. Since we had our team dinner scheduled for 8:00 p.m., the last seven Dogs caught a bus at 6:00 p.m. heading back to our Hotel. We sat mostly in the front, and a few other teams were in the rest of the bus. As we began our journey The Dogs sang a song, then the rest of the bus sang one. This continued all the way back for a half hour. Great fun an fraternity!

The Dogs gathered for our week end team dinner at a nice establishment on the Wharf. A sociable two hour affair ended with week end awards being handed out. Several of us then walked around the Wharf back towards Star City. A very relaxing and enjoyable stroll.

Tomorrow is free for us to do last minute things before we have the Closing Ceremony at the Convention Center tomorrow night. That promises to be an amazing end to an amazing week. On Sunday we will part ways and head home.

I look back on this tour with a smile. It's been mind boggling what this 50 year old Iowa Rugger has been able to do and see in 10 short days. I know I haven't been able to post as much as I would have liked, but there has been so much to fill the days. Keep checking in here over the next few weeks as I compile photo albums for each day of our stay and post them to my home Club's Flickr albums.

I will put a few up tomorrow, and post a final time before I pack my bags and head Northeast. Thanks to everyone who has followed me on this journey! Time to hit the rack and get ready for my last full day in Sydney.

A big shout out to the Eastwood Charcoals and all the other teams who treated all of us Dogs so well during our stay here! It's true what they say, Rugby is a brotherhood unlike any other around the world. Thank you my brothers. Until we meet again down the road. Cheers!

1 comment:

Blair said...

Haz, my name is Blair Jepson, from the Old Tassie Devils. I played with you guys in that last match against the downunders. Later that day a guy called Ray (along with Mark Ella) played with our team against the Italian Barbarians, i was wondering if you had a contact for him so i can forward some photos? I can be reached on blair.jepson@midlands.co.nz.
Thanks
ps. had a great time having a run with you all.