Who I Is

I'm just an old(er) Rugby player from Northern Iowa who has gained a great deal from the sport of Rugby, and like to share my love of this sport with family, friends, and other Ruggers. If you have some time, check out my links on the right side of this page. In the Flickr photo albums there are over 2,000 pics from past Rugby trips I've taken, and from my hometown team, River City Rugby. There's also some great videos on the YouTube link! If you want to learn more about Golden Oldies Rugby be sure to click on that link as well. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy what I post here. I am on Facebook too, so look me up and add me if you'd like. Cheers!



FYI- These posts are from newest to oldest, so if you want to start at the first post, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Older Posts" , or use the links at the right side of the page to select dates.



Saturday, September 22, 2012

Aloha!!

My wife Kim and I started our journey west Wednesday night by driving from Mason City to Des Moines. We stayed at the Airport Hilton so we wouldn't have to drive 2 hours VERY early in the morning. Our first leg to Denver went off without a hitch, then after a short layover we were in the air just over seven hours to Honolulu. We had pre-booked a shuttle from the airport to our hotel, the Aston Waikiki Beach, and were checked in and in our lodging for the next 10 days by 4:30 p.m. local time (9:30 p.m. Iowa time). We upgraded for our stay to an Ocean Front room since this is also about the 20th Anniversary of when we met.

After unpacking we went to get our bearings and check out the area right around our Hotel. I have to say that we were a little shocked about the amount of homeless/street people in the area. I guess if you are a little down on your luck and have to live outside for awhile, what better place than Hawaii?? We grabbed a light evening meal at Wolfgang Puck's here at the hotel, then stopped at an ABC store to pick up a few things.

The reverse jet lag finally caught up with us about 9:00 p.m. The only problem with that is we woke up at 5;20 a.m. today! I came down poolside to check our email and get a feel for the free breakfast concept. About 6:30 a.m. this place goes CRAZY when they open the breakfast area up. I got a little cooler bag and loaded it with muffins, bagels, mini-muffins, some cereal, and fresh fruit bowls. Took it all back up to the room to share with Kim. Excellent free eats by the Hotel!

Kim and I then did a walk over to the pitches to check out where the matches will be this week. We walked back along the seawall and checked out some more of the local sites. By 10:00 a.m. we were on the beach in the warm sunshine. There is a tidal pool directly across from our Hotel, so no huge waves knocking us on our butts! About an hour later we moved to the pool deck (where we still are), made claim to a cabana for two, and are just relaxing for awhile.

There  have been a couple groups of Ruggers checking in this afternoon, and I did meet up with a couple of guys from the Eastwood Charcoals! Gonna tip a couple with them later. I will attempt to update as often as I can, but hell, I'm in Hawaii folks, so no guarantees!!

No comments: