Who I Is

I'm just an old(er) Rugby player from Northern Iowa who has gained a great deal from the sport of Rugby, and like to share my love of this sport with family, friends, and other Ruggers. If you have some time, check out my links on the right side of this page. In the Flickr photo albums there are over 2,000 pics from past Rugby trips I've taken, and from my hometown team, River City Rugby. There's also some great videos on the YouTube link! If you want to learn more about Golden Oldies Rugby be sure to click on that link as well. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy what I post here. I am on Facebook too, so look me up and add me if you'd like. Cheers!



FYI- These posts are from newest to oldest, so if you want to start at the first post, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Older Posts" , or use the links at the right side of the page to select dates.



Friday, August 27, 2010

Welcome!!

This will be my first attempt at blogging. I wanted to do this to save time sending out emails to the over 300 people on my email list. This way, people can follow me in my travels with the "Dogs" as we head out every two years to the World Golden Oldies Rugby Festivals.

My first Festival was in May of 2005 in San Diego. My team mates and myself had an amazing time, and I made a promise to myself to attend every Festival I was able to from that point on. We next traveled to Edinburgh, Scotland in 2008, and are leaving in a few weeks for Sydney, Australia for the 18th Festival!


The overall concept of Golden Oldies Rugby is for players 35 years of age and older to still play the sport we love at a more "relaxed" level of play. There are rules in place to somewhat insure we still get a good run in, but hopefully without the worry of major injuries from contact. We don't keep score, and in the end, the motto of "Fun, Fraterntiy, and Friendship" is pretty much adhered to. There's still Rugby being played, but without the pressure of win at all costs, and maintaining an unblemished winning record. In a nutshell, it's an amazing experience, and every Rugger over the age of 35 should make an attempt to attend one of these Festivals at some point.

As I learn more about this blogging thing I will add links and info about Golden Oldies Rugby for anyone who may want to learn more about it. For the most part though, this will be my travel journal. I am hoping to post each day of the Sydney Festival to keep everyone in the loop with us "Down Under Dogs"! Stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by!

No comments: